Father’s Day is 2 days away, and your husband is already dropping hints about his specially cooked Sunday dinner. You have tons of ideas in your mind, but can’t make a decision. Your husband isn’t helping, because he won’t be specific as to what it is that he wants. PedometersUSA.com is here to save Father’s Day. We will put together a meal for you that is not only delicious, but also healthy. Roll up your sleeves and wash your hands. We’ve searched the internet high and low for some great ideas. Try this Healthy Father’s Day Dinner:
Brown Sugar Skirt Steak
1/4 cup brown sugar
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 pound skirt steak, trimmed and cut into 4 portions
1 large red onion, cut into thick rounds
1 lime, cut into wedges, for serving
1. Preheat a grill to high heat. Mix the brown sugar, 2 tablespoons salt, and 1 tablespoon pepper together in a small bowl. Rub into the steaks and set aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Drizzle the onion with olive oil and season with some salt. Grill on each side until soft and darkly charred, about 8 minutes. Set aside.
3. Grill the steaks on high heat until crisp, about 2 1/2 minutes per side. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes, and then slice the steaks across the grain. Serve over the grilled onions with a lime wedge.
Grilled Corn with Sour Cream and Cotija Cheese
4 ears corn, silks removed, husks left attached
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup crumbled cotija or feta cheese (1 ounce)
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1. Wrap each ear of corn with a 2-inch band of foil to keep husks in place. Soak corn in a large bowl of cold water, 10 minutes. Remove from water, shaking off excess.
2. Grill corn directly over heat source, turning often, until husks are charred and kernels are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Transfer corn to a platter. Peel back husks and spread sour cream over cobs with a butter knife. Sprinkle evenly with cheese and paprika. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Garlicky Roasted Potatoes with Herbs
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 pounds quartered Yukon gold or red potatoes (about 4 cups)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1. Preheat oven to 475°.
2. Combine garlic and oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook 2 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently. Remove garlic with a slotted spoon; set aside. Drizzle remaining oil evenly over potatoes in a large bowl, tossing well to coat. Arrange potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 475° for 30 minutes or until potatoes are golden. Combine reserved garlic, parsley, and lemon rind in a small bowl; sprinkle garlic mixture evenly over potatoes.
Of course, we could not forget dessert!
Perfect Summer Fruit Salad
2/3 cup fresh orange juice
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups cubed fresh pineapple
2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
3 kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced
3 bananas, sliced
2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
1 cup seedless grapes
2 cups blueberries
1. Bring orange juice, lemon juice, brown sugar, orange zest, and lemon zest to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla extract. Set aside to cool.
2. Layer the fruit in a large, clear glass bowl in this order: pineapple, strawberries, kiwi fruit, bananas, oranges, grapes, and blueberries. Pour the cooled sauce over the fruit. Cover and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours before serving.
Happy Healthy Father’s Day!