If you’re thinking about buying your first pedometer or you want to upgrade to a more advanced model, you may be wondering how to find the best pedometer for what you need. Choosing the right pedometer is determined by your fitness needs.
The most basic function of a pedometer is to track how many steps you take. Whether you’re running or walking, this is perhaps the most important feature of your pedometer, but more advanced models can help you examine your fitness regimen with microscopic precision.
- Distance Covered: If you’re training for a marathon or an event based on distance, this feature might be on the top of your list. It’s also great for those who like to measure their exercise in miles rather than steps.
- Calories Burned: If weight loss is your aim, this is one of the most important features you’ll be looking for.
- Workout Memory: Many pedometers allow you to access data from the last few days or weeks. This allows you to chart your progress and identify areas to improve.
- Clocks and Timers: Stopwatches and timers keep you on your toes and provide an excellent way to build endurance.
- Heart Rate Monitor: If you’re working on burning calories or losing weight, you’ll want to keep your heart rate up, and measuring your pulse is a great way to keep you in the zone.
- Software Integration: You can chart your progress like a professional when your pedometer syncs to computer software or online networks that encourage and challenge you to attain new heights.
It’s often advisable to start simple and then upgrade to include the features you require for the workout or sporting event of your choice. Keep these features in mind when you’re searching for your next pedometer and we’re sure you’ll be tracking all the statistics you need to attain your fitness goals!